As the weather begins to warm, you may notice an unpleasant smell coming from your fireplace. As the weather continues to heat up, this can become more unbearable. The culprit is usually creosote that has deposited in your chimney. Creosote is a naturally occurring deposit from wood-burning stoves, and can create an unpleasant odor.
Many homeowners choose to use a baking soda cleaner in their fireplace to rid their homes of the smell. Another alternative could be some cat litter, or a chimney-specific cleaner. Air circulation in other areas of your house can also alleviate the problem, so be sure you’ve got air flowing throughout your home. To prevent air from flowing down your chimney and into your home, you could invest in a chimney damper to seal off the top of the chimney when it’s not in use. If the smell is still bothering you and your family, you may wish to call a professional chimney sweep to inspect and possibly sweep your fireplace and chimney out. To read more answers to our frequently asked questions, click here.
No comments yet.