(615) 459-2546 office@ashbusters.net

Every year there are 350,000 to 400,000 house fires in the U.S. with a total of $8 million in damages. The best thing we can do is constantly look for information and knowledge, and educate ourselves on the leading causes of fires. Then, we must look for ways to minimize exposure to possible fire causes.

Home on Fire - Nashville TN - Ashbusters Chimney Service

  • Cooking. About 40 percent of fires are cooking related causes. A stove or oven that was left unattended is the primary cause. Second is the leaking hose with a gas opened.
  • Kids playing with fire. Kids playing with lighters and matches are also one of the leading causes of fire. Do not leave matches and lighters accessible to children. It is important to teach children about fire safety and the effects of playing with fire. Supervision is also important but we are not always there to stay with the kids.
  • Smoking. Smoking is especially dangerous when you are near combustible materials like curtains, documents and beds.  As much as possible, do not smoke inside the house.
  • Heating. Electrical and fuel based heaters are the most common heater related cause of fires.
  • Electrical. Electrical problems are probably one of the top lists of fire causes. Most common electrical culprits are an extension cord that was used for many appliances, power shortage and short circuit breaker. It is better to have a professional electrician to check your wirings annually.
  • Candles. Candles can be used to set mood, romantic dinner, or power source in case there is a brownout. It is usually the cause of fire because many of us forget that we are using candles so we just leave the house or take a nap without blowing off the candle.
  • Fireplace. Improper repair and servicing of your fireplace may cause fire. It is also recommended that you have your fireplace and chimney inspected and cleaned annually for safety purposes.
  • Dryers. Lint that builds up in your dyer vent is often the cause of fires. Have your vent cleaned regularly to remove the lint build up.
  • Flammables in the house. The most common flammables in the house are gas and fuels that you store in your house. Avoid storing any flammables and avoid leaving any appliances unattended.
  • Christmas Trees. This is the main cause of fire during the holiday season because Christmas lights are usually left opened and unattended during the holidays. Also, buy a Christmas light that is safe to use and passed the accreditation seal of the approving bureau.