If you have a masonry chimney at home and want to improve its efficiency, one thing you can do is have a top-sealing damper professionally installed. A damper is a plate that opens to allow the smoke and flue gases to escape when a fire is lit, then closes to seal your system when not in use. When it comes to chimney dampers, your two options are a throat damper or a top-sealing damper.
So, which is the better choice? In most homes with masonry fireplaces, you will find a throat damper installed. They are installed right above the firebox and despite being the go-to option for years, throat dampers tend to be prone to some issues. Which is why we suggest homeowners today invest in a more modern top-sealing damper.
What Is a Top-Sealing Damper? What Are Its Benefits?
Unlike a throat damper that is placed near the bottom of the chimney, a top-sealing damper is installed at the top of the chimney and, due to its placement, it can protect your entire length of the flue. These devices are made of stainless steel and, when closed, the silicone rubber gasket creates that airtight and watertight seal that makes it the best value for homeowners.
To know more about a top-sealing fireplace damper, here are some of the best benefits of installing one:
- They offer an effective way to seal your chimney. While throat dampers can also seal your chimney, they’re not as efficient as a top-sealing damper. Since throat dampers are so close to the fire when your chimney is in use, they’re more likely to be damaged or warped by the heat. When this happens, the seal becomes broken and worn. A top-sealing damper is placed on top of the chimney flue, so you don’t have to worry about it getting damaged by the fire every time your chimney is in use. This allows it to effectively seal the chimney with its reliable rubber gasket.
- They provide an obstruction barrier against outside elements. One of the most notable things about top-sealing dampers is the protection they provide. They seal tightly meaning no birds, raccoons, squirrels, or other animals will find their way into your chimney or fireplace. On top of that, leaves, twigs, and other debris won’t be able to enter your flue and clog things up.
- They offer protection against water damage. Water causes significant damage to unprotected chimneys and fireplaces. Once water gets into your system it will be much more susceptible to rust, cracks, mold, and deterioration of the flue liner, which can then lead to costly repairs. A top-sealing damper works alongside your chimney cap to block moisture from getting inside your chimney and helping to extend its lifespan.
- They can help you save money. Using a top-sealing damper gives you the opportunity to accumulate some savings in a number of ways. For one, since animals won’t be able to get inside your chimney, you don’t have to spend money having them removed. They also help prevent extensive damage, such as those caused by moisture, saving money (and time) on expensive chimney repairs. And along with all that, the energy efficiency of the damper cap also contributes to lowering your electric bills and putting less pressure on your HVAC system.
- They keep your home more comfortable. Since top-sealing dampers block air from entering your flue at all, you’re less likely to experience downdrafts or to have air in the flue affect the temperatures of your home. (This also contributes to monthly energy savings.)
When to Switch to a Top-sealing Fireplace Damper Cap
If you need to replace or repair your damper, now is the perfect time to upgrade. That way, you’ll have a damper that forms a tight seal and won’t break down easily when fall comes back around in a few months.
To ensure that you can fully reap all the benefits of your top-sealing damper, make sure to hire a reliable chimney company, like Ashbusters, for the job. We don’t recommend doing this job by yourself as the installation requires specific skills and the use of professional tools. And if something is missed or overlooked, your system could be at risk.
By getting the services of a professional, you can ensure that your top-sealing damper is installed properly, avoiding any issues that can reduce its effectiveness. And if you experience any concerns down the line, you can simply contact them to promptly respond and fix the issue.
Experience the Best Chimney Services in Nashville
At Ashbusters Chimney Services, you will get access to award-winning chimney and venting services that have been trusted for over 30 years. Our certified chimney specialists have industry experience and training that gives you the highest level of care possible.
If you want to efficiently seal off your chimney, installing a top-sealing damper is the way to go. Contact the team at Ashbusters to install your new damper today. We are a fully licensed and bonded chimney company, so you can guarantee a clean, effective, and hassle-free installation every time.
Request your appointment today.