Want to convert an old wood-burning fireplace to a more convenient and attractive gas-operated one? Gas inserts can be the perfect solution to modernize your old hearth. At Ashbusters, we carry many styles of gas inserts to suit both traditional and contemporary decors. To help you learn more about these fireplace makeovers, we would like to tell you more about the advantages of installing these inserts. According to HouseLogic, a home-improvement website sponsored by the National Association of Realtors, the benefits of gas inserts can provide the “ultimate in convenience.
Advantages of Gas Fireplace Inserts
- less hassle – Imagine being able to start your fire with the push of a remote control button; you can with a gas fireplace. You will not have to deal with the chore of bringing in heavy firewood; nor will you have the cleaning involved with a wood-burning fireplace.
- lower cost – Installing an insert is much less expensive than rebuilding a new fireplace. You will also save money on your heating bills as gas heat is more energy-efficient.
- more environmentally-friendly – If you worry about the pollution caused by burning wood, a gas insert can alleviate that concern. Gas burns cleaner air — inside and outside your home. You are also saving energy since the efficiency levels of gas fireplaces are much higher than a standard wood-burning fireplace.
- easier remodel – When you want to update the look of your fireplace or even to convert to gas from wood fuel, gas inserts make changing your hearth’s decor and fuel source a simple task. Able to fit into a masonry fireplace or a pre-fabricated fireplace, inserts are then vented through your existing chimney. With the different sizes and styles of gas inserts, you are certain to find your perfect new fireplace look.
- fewer creosote worries – Since gas-burning does not create as much creosote as burning wood, you will have less maintenance. You will still need to have your chimney cleaned annually by a Chimney Institute of America-certified chimney sweep, like our chimney technicians at Ashbusters; however, you will not have to worry about scheduling multiple cleanings throughout the year to rid your chimney walls of large deposits of creosote.
- zone heating – A gas fireplace insert can heat a living space between 1,000 to 3,000 square feet, depending on the size of the insert. You are guaranteed comfortable warmth in the room where your fireplace is located, and you can turn down the thermostat in the rest of the house, which saves you money on heating bills.
- choice of vented or ventless – While a vented gas insert is the safest choice because they exhaust all of the smoke and gases through your chimney, you cannot install a vented gas fireplace insert without an existing place to vent the gas. Ventless inserts can be installed anywhere you would like a fireplace to be; however, some states have banned this type of gas-fueled appliance because the smoke and gases remain inside your home. Fortunately, many ventless inserts are now equipped with an oxygen-depletion sensor that shut them down before carbon monoxide reaches dangerous levels.
If you would like to know more about the benefits of gas inserts, contact Ashbusters today. Our experienced staff can help you with any questions you may have.