(615) 459-2546 office@ashbusters.net

Your Chimney & Carbon Monoxide Image - Nashville TN - Ashbusters Chimney ServiceWhen you have a gas heating appliance, there is always the possibility of a carbon monoxide leak, which can be a very dangerous situation. Since this toxic gas is odorless and tasteless, you could be breathing it in without even realizing it. Known as “the invisible killer,” carbon monoxide poisoning can be hard to diagnose because its symptoms closely resemble those of the flu and the common cold. Without a proper diagnosis, you are at a risk for longer exposure to this toxic gas. Unfortunately, many cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are not found until subtle yet permanent damage has been done to the brain, heart, and other important organs. Even worse, when there is too much carbon dioxide in your blood, it can kill you. Because a gas fireplace and its chimney can be the source of a carbon monoxide leak, it is essential to follow a schedule of routine maintenance checkups to avoid this hazard in your home. Ashbusters provides experienced chimney and fireplace inspection services from our National Fireplace Institute (NFI)-certified gas appliance technicians. You can count on us to make sure your chimney does not add carbon monoxide to your home. We would like to tell you about some of chimney problems that can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and what you can expect from our maintenance service.

What kinds of chimney problems can lead to carbon monoxide leaks?

One of the most common problems we find that can prevent the proper exhaust of toxic combustion gases is an incorrectly sized chimney. According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), a large numbers of chimneys in homes all across the country that are used every day are too large for their gas heating appliances. Not only does this have a negative effect on chimney draft, but it also leads to condensation issues. Newer gas fireplace inserts and sets of gas logs produce cooler fumes with higher levels of water vapor that are more likely to cause a lot of condensation. These vapors pick up chlorides from the inside air that is used for combustion, which can cause extensive corrosive damage to the flue. This damage can create cracks and gaps in the flue that allow carbon monoxide to enter your home. Other problems that can lead to this hazard include chimney blockages and soot buildup.

What can I expect from a gas appliance inspection from Ashbusters?

Our certified gas technicians will look closely at your gas appliance and its chimney to make sure there are no safety hazards or hidden problems. We will check the pilot light, the gas connections, the attached venting, and all other components to ensure the appliance functions properly and safely. We will take a look at the inside of the chimney to make sure the flue matches the size of your heating appliance. If it does not, we can install a new stainless steel chimney liner that will custom fit the heating appliance and allow the system to function efficiently and safely.

Avoid carbon monoxide leaks from your gas fireplace and its chimney this winter. Contact us at Ashbusters to schedule your annual gas appliance maintenance service appointment today.