Moisture & Chimney Damage
Moisture is unavoidable to a certain extent, but too much moisture can be your chimney’s biggest foe. Ongoing exposure to wetness in your chimney and fireplace will cause lapses in efficiency, and may cause unnecessary damages to the integrity of these appliances.
There are many things you can do to avoid excessive moisture exposure. Keep the trees and limbs around your chimney properly trimmed so that dew does not consistently fall into your chimney. Also, make sure your drainage systems are efficient, and clean your rain gutters regularly. Take care when placing sprinklers around your yard so that they are not pouring water into your chimney. One of the most important things you can do to protect your fireplace from excessive moisture is to have it cleaned. Wet leaves can cause a lot of unnecessary moisture in your fireplace, and this can lead to damage. Having a professional come and clean your chimney will clear it of any unnecessary and potentially wet debris in order to keep your fireplace in working order all season long.
If your chimney is moist or wet, you could experience extensive water damage to your chimney system or flashing, which could make your chimney unstable and dangerous. Give our CSIA certified chimney technicians a call to waterproof your chimney and repair any structural damage to your masonry chimney or pre-fabricated chimney. Ashbusters Chimney Service in Nashville, TN has over 35 years of experience in the chimney and fireplace industry. Contact us today at 615-833-0349 to schedule an appointment and have our techs examine your chimney situation. Thanks.