Every year we see too many tragic fires that cause damage to homes and even worse. The majority of these are totally preventable, and we like to share some of our knowledge with people in order to prevent some of these tragedies. Some of these may seem rather obvious, but trust me, reminders can never be a bad thing. Sometimes, they are just the thing to help you remember something life saving.
Here are some of the best tips we have come up with:
- You will hear us talk about this time and time again – clean your dryer vents. This is one of those maintenance tasks that can absolutely prevent fire. Lint is highly flammable, and needs to be regularly cleaned out of your vents.
- Have your chimney inspected. You just never know when a critter has built a nest in your chimney or the mortar in your chimney has started to crack. Either instance can be the precursor to chimney failure and a house fire. Have it inspected at least every year.
- Keep space heaters away from curtains and blankets. The is one of the leading causes of house fires in the United States.
- Keep matches and lighters away from children. You can’t expect children to understand how to use them safely, so always supervise kids when they happen to be around them.
- Similar to the above tip, don’t let kids have candles and incense in their rooms.
- Pay attention to warning labels. Your home appliances have these warnings as a guide to keep you and your family safe.
It is important to remember that your safety is up to you. You can’t expect others to look out for you and your family’s well-being. Be proactive, and keep everyone you love safe from preventable house fires. Do what it takes to keep your home safe.