(615) 459-2546 office@ashbusters.net

There are many advantages to owning a gas fireplace. They are known for providing the cozy ambience of fire, just with a cleaner burn and reduced energy costs. However, like any home appliance, they can experience issues that both compromise their functionality and pose potential dangers to the home and the people living in it.

At Ashbusters Nashville we take the safety of our customers seriously – and we want to help you spot potential gas fireplace problems before they become a dangerous issue. That is why we are providing some simple troubleshooting tips, so you can fully enjoy your fireplace without worry of danger this upcoming fall.

Here are some common problems your gas fireplace might experience, what makes those problems potentially dangerous, and what you can do to correct them.

✔ Pilot Light Won’t Stay Lit

Possible Causes:a black background with red and orange flames

  • Clogged or obstructed tubing
  • Low gas supply or pressure issues
  • Thermocouple malfunctions

Possible Dangers: 

An unlit pilot light means that any gas that may be flowing is not getting burned and eliminated. This could lead to a slow buildup of gas within the home which is highly flammable. This puts you at risk of fire or dangerous explosions.

Possible Solutions: 

  • Check the pilot tube to see if there is debris buildup around it. If you see visible debris that may be clogging it, remove it. However, leave any tube connecting or disconnecting to the professionals. At Ashbusters Nashville our professionals are trained to deal with gas lines and can spot problems that may not be visible to the naked eye.
  • Check the gas supply, and make sure that there is enough gas and pressure in the line to feed the pilot light. If there is not, this could mean there is a leak somewhere in the supply line. Our techs at Ashbusters Nashville can help spot these leaks and fix them before they become a problem.
  • Test the thermocouple and make sure that it is not malfunctioning. At its most basic, a thermocouple is an electrical component that measures temperature and regulates functions based on the temperatures it measures. They are found in many appliances and can sometimes malfunction. If yours is experiencing problems, our techs at Ashbusters can help you get it repaired or replaced.

✔ Weak or Discolored Flames

Possible Causes: 

  • Low gas pressure
  • Improper air-to-gas ratio
  • Dirty burners

Possible Dangers: 

Weak flames can mean an inefficient or dirty burn. When this happens there is a higher risk of your fireplace producing carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is an invisible and odorless gas that forces breathable air out of the space, leading to symptoms like headaches, nausea, dizziness, incoherence, and even death.

Each year carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for over 100,000 hospital visits and 420 deaths. Even though it takes a generous buildup of the gas before problems occur, if your gas fireplace’s flames aren’t as strong as normal, it’s worth looking into the problem further.

Possible Solutions: 

  • Clean the burners in the fireplace. This is a simple course of action that may take care of the problem. 
  • Check the gas pressure. And if it is low? Call our techs at Ashbusters Nashville to help you check for leaks. 
  • Adjust the air-to-gas ratio. Measuring this takes some tools and training that most people don’t have, but guess what – we do! At Ashbusters we can help you solve ratio issues. Give us a call.

✔ Unusual Odors

someone turning on a gas fireplace with a remotePossible Causes: 

  • Gas leaks
  • Foreign objects in the burner
  • Clogged ventilation

Possible Dangers: 

One of the major advantages of a gas fireplace is the clean and odorless burn it provides. A stinky fireplace means there is something wrong.

If it is a gas leak it will have a rotten egg smell and it means that gas is not getting burnt off which can lead to fires or explosions. If there are foreign objects in the burner it will have a charred smell and can lead to carbon monoxide buildup or uncontrolled flames. If you have a clogged up vent it can often smell like mildew or earthy decomposition which can also lead to carbon monoxide buildup, as gases aren’t able to exit the home properly.

Possible Solutions: 

  • Check the vent and make sure it is free of debris. If you can’t visually see through your entire vent, don’t worry – Ashbusters specializes in cleaning ventilation systems.
  • Make sure your fireplace is free of foreign debris that could be burning unintentionally. If it’s not, we can inspect the system and remove any buildup.
  • If you suspect a gas leak, turn off the gas supply immediately. Then, open windows for ventilation, leave the home, and call proper authorities. Once the issue is handled, contact Ashbusters for an inspection and repairs.

Put Safety First – Trust the Ashbusters Chimney Team

Our main concern at Ashbusters Nashville is the safety and happiness of our clients and our community. We believe that the best way to prevent dangerous situations is to stop problems before they become hazardous. We highly encourage our clients to schedule regular annual inspections and maintenance, so that we can identify and end minor problems before they get worse.

We’re here to keep you safe and free of worry as you enjoy all that your fireplace has to offer. Call us today or reach out online to schedule your inspection and maintenance routine.